- GLENCAPLE-QUAY, a village, in the parish of Caerlaverock, county of Dumfries, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from Dumfries; containing 268 inhabitants. The village is situated on the eastern bank of the Nith, and has a small harbour, of which the water is twelve feet deep at spring tides. Vessels bound for Dumfries, to which town this port is subsidiary, unload here when unable, from their burthen, to reach the place of their destination; and much employment is afforded to the male population, as carriers, in consequence. A road from the village runs in a northern direction, and partly along the shore, to Dumfries. A short distance hence, close by the river, was a cell or chapel, dedicated to St. Columba; and near it is a well, where persons who drank of its water usually deposited alms.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Caerlaverock — CAERLAVEROCK, a parish, in the county of Dumfries, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Dumfries; containing, with Sherrington, Bankhead, Glencaple Quay, and Blackshaws, 1297 inhabitants. Different opinions exist in regard to the derivation of the name of… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Dumfries — DUMFRIES, a royal burgh, county town, port, and the seat of a presbytery and synod, in the county of Dumfries; comprising the parishes of St. Michael and New Church, with the villages of Georgetown, Locharbriggs, Lochthorn, and part of Kelton; … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Kelton — 1) KELTON, a parish, in the stewartry of Kirkcudbright; including the villages of Rhonehouse and Gelston, and containing 2875 inhabitants, of whom 1848 are in the town of Castle Douglas, 10 miles (N. E. by E.) from Kirkcudbright. This parish… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland